Höllental gorge
The first tourists came to the Werdenfelser Land after the the railroad was built from Munich to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. In the year 1900, Bezirksamtmann Voelk, who was the president of the local alpine club, thought about the possibility of constructing a path through the Höllentalklamm. His idea was to get directly to the beautiful nature of the Höllentalanger and to reduce the walking distance to the Zugspitze. In the year 1901 Adolf Zoeppritz became the president of the local alpine club and he started the project.The first explorations were started in the front gorge, the socalled “Maxklamm” in the year 1901. Adolf Zoeppritz, J. Ostler, a mountain guide from Grainau, and J. Weißenbach, who was very experienced with explosives, were the construction managers. It was extremely difficult to work at the steep rock wall of the Waxenstein. The workers had to be secured with ropes while they used hand-operated drills.
After 4 years construction time (from 1902 – 1905) the path through the gorge was finished. It took about 600 days of work, 2,500 kg explosives, 14,000 kg iron, 2,000 m waterpipes, 750 m wire, 7,000 kg cement and 70 kg coals for ging the iron. It cost 65,000 Mark. The ceremonial opening took place on August 15, 1905. All these men proved with their sacrificing work that it is possible to achieve something special.

The Höllentalklamm-Museum topics of the exhibition are:
• Mining and ore min
• Exploration and development of the Höllental
• Exploration and development of the Höllentalklamm
• History of the local alpine club (DAV-Sektion Garmisch-Partenkirchen)

The museum is free. The visit is included in the admission fee of the Höllentalklamm. Donations are welcome.

Rain clothes are recommended. It is not allowed to take bulky things like strollers or bikes into the gorge. It is very cool even on summer days so be aware of suitable clothes. Notice that the Höllentalklamm is part of our mountains, so please hike responsibly and watch out for danger. It might be useful to secure little children with a snap link.
Dogs are allowed in the Höllentalklamm when on a lead.
Please tidy up after your dog‘s to help keep the gorge clean.




82491 Grainau
Tel.: +49 8821 8895

Opening Hours:
Open 24 hours daily during the summer months. During the winter months it is closed and not accessible.

Starting Point:
Hiking parking lot in Hammersbach (Grainau)

We recommend using the parking lot at the Hausbergbahn or Alpspitzbahn. From there you can go by train (Bayerische Zugspitzbahn) to the station in Hammersbach – the starting point of the tour.

ZugspitzCard & ClassicCard

Points of Sale Buy online